Friday 13 March 2009

Pineapples are not the only fruit in Rwanda...

Hey everyone! Well it's the end of our second week in Kigali and it's been a busy one! We have done a lot more teaching this week - P1 right up to P6. We have sorted out our working hours though finally so we are only working between the hours of 8:45-13:00, but it still means getting up at 6am! BOKE!

Bad news first, I suppose - this week I got the news that I didn't get a place for the PGCE at Queen's this year, so I have to come up with a new plan! Maybe I'll be a nuclear physicist, a jazz musician, or maybe just some hobo sittng outside the City Hall drinking wine in a bag... can I come live with you???? On second thought, maybe I'll just hang around the Merchant when I get home and have a look for that Arab Sheik of my dreams!

Teaching-wise we have been having a ball. The children are so sweet and have started holding hands with us and giving us hugs as we are leaving at the end of the day. The older ones are so funny aswell, yesterday we cut out some pictures from magazines for one of our P6 lessons and one of them showed a guy and girl holding hands - that was met by verrry embarrassed laughter from the whole class.... it is bizarre because two guys will walk around holding hands ALL THE TIME, but girls are not allowed to do that together, and men and women would never hold hands with each other on the street here. It is sweet that friends do that here, but I don't know why it only applies to two guys! Something to share with us, fellas???? ;)

Since my last post I have eaten goat! I've got to tell you - it is DELISH! I'll definitely be having that again soon! I've also been continuing to sample the delights of Rwanda beer in the form of Primus... I intend to sample a bit more of that this weekend!

We had the craziest storm a couple of days ago. Suzi and I were on our way back from work getting the two mad bums-in-our-faces taxis and then DOWNPOUR! With the kind of roads we have here, we were not a pretty sight (and we have pictures to prove it!) When we were near the house we heard the loudest thunder ever - there were two big African guys walking near us and one of them just SHREIKED! That made us feel a bit braver... :)

Apart from a couple of isolated downpours the weather has been really beautiful... I MAY even be getting a tan! Then again, the "tan" I see is normally only visible to myself, but I live in hope dear friends!

I'm also getting a bit more used to the language of Kinyarwanda - not enough to have any kind of conversation but enough to bring hysterical amusement to the people in the village near the school who think we are just about the most hilarious creatures ever.

Another thing I am getting used to is a lessened sense of personal hygiene. It's pretty much impossible to stay clean because as soon as you step outside the dirt just sees feet and promptly jumps on them. We'll have to get out of the way of minger-mentality when we get home, but we may be bringing a whole new clashing fashion trend a la Rwanda!

I think I can now safely say that Rwanda is a lot different from what I expected. The people are not as extroverted as the people in Ghana, a lot of them are pretty confused as to why a bunch of white girls would want to come here, but they are also really appreciative and welcoming.

I also finished reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" this week - I cried every two or three pages up until the last, but it was FABULOUS. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone and every single one of you! I know that little trinket of info is not exactly Rwanda-based, but I loved it so much I had to throw it in!

Since last time we also had our first market experiences - pretty crazy! A lot of people see us and just see giant dollar signs so they can be quite persistant! It's been hard when we've had to deal with children begging on the street, too... I don't think we'll ever really get used to it, but there are times when we do have to separate ourselves a bit because there is just so much poverty, and getting emotional about it doesn't really help anyone, but that's easier said than done.

One of my goals for next week is to do more African things! There is a stadium close to us and it would be great to watch a football match or something there. Another thing I'm surprised at though is that football is not a huge thing here... they are into volleyball though! Who knew! Although there are loads of Arsenal stickers on taxis and stuff like that, so funny!

Well I have to dash but I love you all and I will update you on my adventures again very soon!!!

CIAO!
XXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment